Reasons for Black Screen of Death on Vizio Smart TV
Faulty parts are one of the most common causes of a TV’s poor performance. TV power supply boards can become faulty and cause difficulties. You can run certain tests on your Vizio smart TV to pinpoint the specific problem.
Power Test – Check to see if the TV is receiving a proper power connection. Unplug the cord from the TV and wait a few seconds to confirm. After that, plug in your TV and turn it on. If the TV does not turn on, the problem could be with the power connections.
Turn on your television and press the Menu button if you see a black screen for the next test. If you view the Menu, The issue may be with the connected HDMI cable or other devices, such as a cable box/media player.
To do this test, turn off all of the lights in your room and make it as dark as possible. Take a flashlight and place it a few inches away from the light on your TV screen. If you see any visuals on the TV using Flashlight ray, the problem could be with the inverter board.
How to Fix Vizio Black Screen of Death
- Soft Restart
- Vizio TV power cycling
- Unmute the television screen
- HDMI cable inspection
- Unplug motherboard cables
- Changing the motherboard and the backlight
- Changing the image mode
- Restore the factory defaults
- Contact customer service.
To perform a soft reset, unplug the TV cable and reconnect it after 30 to 60 seconds. Turn on your Vizio TV and see whether you can see the display. If the problem persists, try the following troubleshooting steps.
Power Cycling Vizio TV
- Using the Vizio TV remote, turn off the TV.
- Unplug the TV’s power cable from the wall outlet.
- Then, for 5 seconds, press and hold the Power button on the TV.
- Connect the cable and turn on the television.
- Finally, test your Vizio TV by streaming some material.
Unmute the television screen
Mute screen is a feature on some Vizio smart TVs that turns off the screen while allowing sound. To turn it off, hold the Mute button on your remote for 3-5 seconds. Check that the material is visible on the screen after removing the function.
HDMI cable inspection
The black screen may appear if any of your Vizio TV’s cable connectors are broken or in loose contact. To fix this, unplug and re-plug the cords properly. For this problem, try a new power outlet.
To ensure good operation, use high-quality HDMI cables. Also, try to keep your cords dust-free.
Unplug motherboard cables
- Unscrew all of the screws in the TV and open the TV panel using a screwdriver.
- Locate your TV’s Motherboard and try unplugging the cords and removing the screws. If there is dust on the Motherboard, thoroughly clean it or blow it out with compressed air.
- Plug them back in and double-check that they are correctly attached.
- Turn on the television to see if the patch worked.
Changing the motherboard and the backlight
If none of the above techniques work, contact a specialist and attempt replacing your TV’s motherboard or backlight to resolve the black screen problem. You can also request warranty service from Vizio, if it is available, and file a repair claim.
Changing the image mode
- Using the remote, navigate to Picture and then Menu.
- To repair it, select Picture Mode (at the top) and change the picture modes.
The PIC button can be found on some Vizio TV remotes. Using this button, you can switch between image modes.
Restore the factory defaults
Go to System after pressing the Home button on the remote (Help option in other Vizio TV models).
Then, choose Reset & Admin Reset to Factory Settings.
Your Vizio TV will be reset, much like when you buy a new Vizio smart TV. Start streaming the content to see if the problem has been resolved.
Contact customer service.
If the troubleshooting procedures fail to resolve the difficulties, you can immediately contact Vizio support by online chat, text message, or toll-free helpline at (855) 472-8817 to resolve the Vizio TV black screen.